Wonder Workshop, Inc.
Effective Date: October 10, 2014
Last Updated: September 3, 2020
- We comply with COPPA.
- We keep kids’ work private.
- We let you control your kids’ personal data.
- We will not sell your kids’ personal data. Or yours.
- We don’t collect or store kids’ voices.
- We don’t collect or store kids’ images.
- We use the latest security best practices.
- We will let you know if our privacy practices change.
We comply with COPPA.
Our robots and mobile apps are COPPA certified by the kidSAFE Seal Program. We are fully compliant with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
We keep kids’ work private.
Kids’ work is private to their app by default. Some of our apps allow people to generate a special key or link. This key or link cannot be shared within our Service. In our Class Connect product, students’ work is private to their classroom by default. A teacher on a Class Connect subscription may choose to share such work with other adults.
We let you control your kids’ personal data.
We give parents and teachers control over how we use kids’ data. You have the right to request that we delete some or all of your kids’ data.
We will not sell your kids’ personal data. Or yours.
When we do collect data, we use it to support our products, customers, and users. We never sell the data.
We don’t collect or store kids’ voices.
Some of our apps allow kids to record their own voices and transmit that audio to the robot over Bluetooth. This audio is not transmitted to our or anyone else’s servers. The audio remains on the robot until it is replaced by new audio.
We don’t collect or store kids’ images.
Our robots do not have cameras and do not record photos or videos. We do not collect this kind of information from children.
We use the latest security best practices.
We use current data security best practices to protect your information.
We will let you know if our privacy practices change.
If our privacy practices change, we will update this document. If we make any material changes that impact kids’ personal information, we will notify you.
In this document, we may refer to Wonder Workshop, Inc., as “Wonder Workshop,” “we,” “us,” or “our.” We may refer to our websites, software, applications, connected products, and related services as the “Service.”
Most of the websites operated by Wonder Workshop are intended for adults to learn about and purchase our products and services. Adult users may include parents, educators, and developers. These websites (which we refer to as our “General-Audience Sites”) include, but are not limited to:
- our main website at www.makewonder.com
- our e-commerce site at store.makewonder.com
- our “Make Wonder” portal at portal.makewonder.com
We do not knowingly solicit or collect Personal Information (defined below) from children under the age of 13 (“Children Users”) on these General-Audience Sites.
Our “Child-Directed Products” include
- the Wonder Workshop robots (including Dash, Dot, and Cue).
- the corresponding mobile and desktop applications.
- the browser-based educational software.
- the play.makewonder.com website.
Our Child-Directed Products are generally intended to be used and enjoyed by children and teenagers. We employ special measures when collecting or processing information through our Child-Directed Products. We generally avoid or limit the collection of Personal Information through these products. For more details on our practices related to children, please see the section on Children’s Privacy below.
App: any Wonder Workshop software application. This includes but is not limited to those on Google Play, Apple App Store, Microsoft Store, Amazon Appstore.
Browsing Information: information about your use of the Service. This includes your device’s interaction with the Service. (An access device may include a computer, tablet, Chromebook, or smartphone.) Browsing Information also includes certain of the information described below in the “Information Collected Automatically” section. This information is linked to a device ID, such as the device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address. Your Wonder Workshop robot includes a product ID. Through the App, your robot transmits information to us that we use to:
• provide our services.
• assist you in troubleshooting.
• improve our products, services, Website, and App.
In general, we do not use Browsing Information to identify you. But on certain of our General-Audience Sites, such information may be paired with Personal Information. It may also be paired with other information that, together, could be used to identify you. Third parties may access, collect, store, and use Browsing Information. (Such third parties may include analytics companies and advertising service providers). These companies may use the Browsing Information to identify you.
Personal Information: information that can or does directly identify you. Examples include:
• your full name
• physical address (home, mailing, shipping, and/or billing address)
• email address
• phone number
• credit card information
In the case of Children Users, Personal Information may also include:
• precise geolocation
• school name/address
• a photo, video, or audio file that contains the child’s image or voice
• a persistent ID (such as an IP Address or device ID) when not used for internal support purposes
Product Use Information: information related to the use of one of our products. Examples include robot name and activities coded. Product Use Information is linked to the product ID number of your robot.
User Content: any content that you create or produce and upload to our Service. Examples include:
• voice recordings
• software code or program
User Content may contain Personal Information if such is provided within the User Content.
Website/Site: any websites, web pages, and sub-pages. This includes mobile websites, web pages, and sub-pages under Wonder Workshop’s full or partial control. This also includes but is not limited to:
• the General-Audience Sites listed above
• the play.makewonder.com website
• any sub-pages of these websites
What information we collect
Personal Information We Affirmatively Collect From You
We may collect Personal Information from you, such as:
- payment: credit card, bank account, or other information used in payments
- contact: email ID, phone number, billing, shipping, or mailing address
- identity: first name, last name, age, username, or password
- user content: text, image, video, or a combination of such media authored using our service
- social media: personal data when you interact with our ads and related content
- job data: details related to your work history if you apply to Wonder Workshop
We may collect the above Personal Information when you:
- register for an account on our Service.
- sign up for our newsletter.
- make a purchase or order on our General-Audience Sites.
- include Personal Information in User Content that you upload to our Service, or
- set up or enable certain features for your child/student on our Child-Directed Products.
Other profile information you may affirmatively provide us about you or a child may be collected and maintained together with your Personal Information. Examples include:
- birth date
You can choose not to provide any information that we request of you. However, this may limit your ability to use or access the Service.
If a friend refers you to us by providing us with your email address, the system may send you a message. However, we will use your email address only to send the friend’s message unless you opt in for more.
We may collect information from you when you communicate with us by phone, including text messages or email. This information may include Personal Information. It may be combined with Personal Information collected during your registration for or use of the Service. We may also receive Personal Information about you from third parties where you have a registered account. (This could happen now or in the future.) Examples of these third-party connections include Single Sign-On (SSO) and log-in methods such as:
- Facebook SSO
- Google SSO
- Microsoft SSO
The third party may pass to Wonder Workshop certain information about your use of its service. This information could include, but is not limited to:
- the user ID associated with your account.
- an access token necessary to access that service.
- any information that you have permitted the third party to share with us.
- any information you have made public in connection with that service.
You should review your privacy settings on third-party services before linking them to the Wonder Workshop Service. If necessary, you should adjust your privacy settings.
For more details on our data collection practices for Child Users, see the section on Children’s Privacy below.
Information Collected Automatically
We may collect Personal Information from you, such as:
Product Usage: data related to your use and engagement with our account system, apps, etc. Such information is automatically transmitted to Wonder Workshop through our App. It is used:
- to provide product support.
- to improve our products and services.
- for similar activities that support our internal operations.
Robot: diagnostic data of the robot used. This could include details such as:
- crash data
- firmware version
- language of robot sounds
Device: Anonymized details related to the device (computer, smartphone, tablet)Each time you access a web page on our Service, your browser automatically reports log file information. Our servers automatically record some of that information. These server logs may include information such as:
- your IP Address
- web request
- browser type
- referring/exit pages and URLs
- number of clicks
- domain names
- landing pages
- pages viewed, and other similar information
- device system language
We may use certain third party services to help us understand your use of the Service. Google Analytics is an example of such a service. These services collect information about your use of and the performance of the App, the Site, and/or Wonder Workshop’s robots. They also collect anonymized information sent by your browser as part of a web page request, including cookies and your IP Address.
In general, we store tracking information in an anonymous aggregated form. However, we or our third-party tracking partners may store certain information, such as page views, in a manner that can be linked to specific devices.
Third-Party Ad Networks
On our Child-Directed Products, we do not show behaviorally-targeted or re-targeted ads to Child Users. Nor do we track Child Users for targeted advertising purposes.
Some web browsers may automatically transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites that users visit. Wonder Workshop does not process or respond to such automated “do not track” signals. This applies to other transmissions that request to automatically disable online tracking of users who visit our Service.
How we use your information
We may use Personal Information and Browsing Information for a variety of purposes, including:
- to operate and monitor the effectiveness of the Service.
- to improve the content of the Service, and layout and design.
- to monitor, analyze, and describe usage patterns and performance of the Service. This includes aggregate metrics such as the total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns.
- to conduct system administration and system troubleshooting and to diagnose or fix technology problems. This is to help provide you with a smooth, efficient user experience.
- for billing, identification, authentication, and fraud prevention.
- to respond to any inquiries or requests received from you.
- to contact you and deliver administrative notices and communications relevant to your use of the Service. This includes security or support and maintenance advisories.
- to comply with legal requirements and processes to protect our legal rights or the rights of others. This might be in response to a subpoena, court order, or law enforcement or governmental request or investigation. An example is to work to reduce the risk of fraud or misuse of the Service.
- in connection with an unusual business transaction. Examples include bankruptcy, liquidation, sale, purchase, or merger with another business.
- To send promotional communications and newsletters to you. Also, for other marketing purposes of Wonder Workshop or partners. You may access and manage your communication preferences from your account, when available. Otherwise, you may contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For distribution to third-party service providers that provide services to Wonder Workshop and our partners. We require these third parties not to use your Personal Information for any other purpose.
How we share your information
Personal Information. Except as set forth below, Wonder Workshop will not rent or sell your Personal Information to others. Nor will we share it with independent third parties for their separate marketing-related purposes. To operate the Service, however, we may share your Personal Information with our agents, representatives, and contractors. This is so that they can provide us with support services and other features and fulfill your orders. We require these third parties not to use your Personal Information for any other purpose. We may store Personal Information in locations outside the direct control of Wonder Workshop. Examples include servers or databases co-located with hosting providers.
Browsing Information. We may share non-personally identifiable information with interested third parties. This is to help them understand the usage patterns for our Service. Examples of this information include:
- anonymous usage data.
- referring/exit pages and URLs.
- platform types.
- number of clicks.
We may store such information for a time determined to be reasonable for internal operations.
Instances where we are required to share your information. Wonder Workshop will disclose your information where required to do so by law or subpoena. In addition, we will do so if we reasonably believe such action is necessary:
- to comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement.
- to protect the security or integrity of our Service and our property. This includes our intellectual property.
- to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Wonder Workshop, our users or others.
How do we store and process information?
Your information collected through the Service may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Wonder Workshop or its subsidiaries or service providers maintain facilities. Wonder Workshop may transfer information that we collect about you, including Personal Information, to affiliated entities, or to other third parties across borders and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world.
What are your choices about receiving marketing messages?
Wonder Workshop offers parents, teachers, and other adults the choice of receiving different types of communication and information related to our company, products, and services. You may subscribe to e-newsletters or other publications, and you may also elect to receive marketing communications and other special offers from us via email.
To help us understand whether we are providing information of interest to you, we may include software code or other tracking technologies in our emails to monitor whether you opened a particular email, whether you have clicked on the images and/or links in the email, the date and time the message was opened, and whether your computer is capable of receiving HTML-based email. We endeavor to allow you to unsubscribe at any time from our email programs by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email message. You may also access and manage your preferences from your account, when available, or by contacting us directly at email@example.com. We reserve the right to send you service announcements or similar administrative messages, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
How do we protect your information?
Wonder Workshop takes what it believes to be commercially reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect Personal Information. However, since no security system is impenetrable, and “perfect security” does not exist on the Internet, we cannot guarantee the security of Personal Information or Browsing Information.
If you create an account to use the Service, you may be asked to choose a password for your account, which can be used to access information associated with your account (including Personal Information). You should choose a password that is not easy to guess and does not use words that you would find in a dictionary. Do not disclose your password to any other person. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account. And we will attribute activities that occur using your account information to you. This includes the use of your password. If you suspect that your password has been compromised contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can you update your information?
Wonder Workshop believes strongly in giving you the ability to access and update or correct your Personal Information. You may update your Personal Information by logging into your account on Wonder Workshop’s Website, when available, or by contacting us directly at email@example.com.
We take student privacy seriously. As a provider of educational technology and in an effort to support statewide and public school districts, Wonder Workshop has signed state-specific privacy pledges or agreements such as the:
- CA Student Data Privacy Agreement or CSDPA
- California’s schools are now part of the CA Student Privacy Alliance. The CSDPA is designed to meet both federal and student data privacy requirements.
- New York State (NYS) Education Law Section
- 2DConnecticut Student Data Privacy Pledge
The above agreements and pledges are executed, at times, with school-specific agreements based on the products and/or services provided.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that prevents Educational Institutions from releasing certain information about your child to vendors such as Wonder Workshop without consent.
We care about children’s privacy. We are committed to complying with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). To learn more about COPPA, please consult this simple one-page informational guide from the kidSAFE Seal Program: http://www.kidsafeseal.com/knowaboutcoppa.html
The Child-Focused Products we offer are aimed to be usable by children, students, and young teenagers. But only adults are allowed to make purchases on our General-Audience Sites or Child-Focused Products. This includes parents, teachers, and legal guardians.
To set up your Wonder Workshop robot, a parent or guardian should download the corresponding App. Then they should assist with account creation (if applicable). During account creation we may ask a parent/guardian to provide:
- their email address.
- an account password.
- limited profile information (username, birth date, gender,) about the child using the robot.
This information is used to customize the robot experience for the child. It is also used to keep the parent or guardian informed of the child’s activities.
Per COPPA, the parent’s email address may be used to notify and obtain verifiable consent from a parent before:
- activating a Wonder Workshop account.
- enabling certain data collecting features for their child (such as chat messaging between the child and robot).
The parent account information may also be used to:
- manage account information. Examples include profile updates, password reset, and login for another Wonder Workshop Website.
- communicate with the parent about new products, features, newsletters, and special promotions and events.
Product Use Information is used only to support our internal operations. We may collect a limited amount of personal information from a parent or child (such as an email address) to use for a one-time event or communication. Examples include one-time contests and code submission. We may also use the information for multiple ongoing communications to a child. Examples of these include email alerts and push notifications. For these types of activities, Wonder Workshop may rely on exceptions to the parental consent requirement under COPPA. Or we may follow other procedures to ensure compliance. Examples include:
- removal of personal information prior to collection or immediately after use.
- parental notification with an opt-out mechanism.
- local storage of the information with no uploading to the web.
Wonder Workshop does not currently offer any features on our Child-Directed Products that would allow Children Users to publicly post or share Personal Information with other users via the web. Some features on our Child-Directed Products may allow the storage of information (including Personal Information) locally on our App or robot device. In these cases, there is no uploading of such information to the web or Wonder Workshop servers. Parents are still advised to remove any such information from their robot device should they choose to sell, donate, or gift their device to someone else.
On our Child-Directed Products, we may collect and process certain information from Children Users. This includes:
- Product Use Information
- Browsing Information
However, this is only for purposes of supporting our internal operations, such as to help us:
- maintain or analyze the functioning of our Child-Directed Products.
- perform network communications.
- authenticate users of our Child-Directed Products
- personalize the content on our Child-Directed Products.
For products like Class Connect, we may collect and store certain information from Children Users. This information is App Usage Data, and it includes:
- app profile name
- user-created programs
- user-created program names
- solutions (programs created in response to a Challenge or Puzzle)
- time spent in the App
This information may be linked with specific student information in the Class Connect web portal. This portal is intended for use by teachers and other adults. The teacher purchases a license or uses a free trial. The teacher can then use the portal to set up a “Classroom” by entering student names into the portal. This can include the students’ first and last names, based on the teacher’s choice and with the appropriate form of verifiable consent under COPPA (if necessary). It is possible for the App Usage Data from Children Users to be linked with the students’ full names. The teacher controls this information. It is not shared publicly.
On our Child-Directed Products, we do not use Product Use Information or Browsing Information for behavioral or re-targeted advertising. Nor do we use it to allow third parties to track the activity of Children Users for such purposes.
With proper authentication, a parent or legal guardian always has the right to:
- review the Personal Information we may have collected and stored about their child.
- request the deletion of such Personal Information.
- refuse to allow further collection or use of such information by Wonder Workshop.
A request to delete such information may limit the child’s access to all or a portion of the Service.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if
- you believe that a child under 13 might have provided us with Personal Information without your permission.
- you wish to view, request deletion of, or prohibit further collection of information about your child.
We urge parents to monitor their children’s use of all digital media.
Links to Other Websites
California Privacy Rights
Users who are California residents may request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, certain information about the Personal Information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If applicable, this information would include a list of the categories of Personal Information that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties with whom we shared information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to email@example.com.
Visitors residing outside of the US
If you are located in the European Union, (EU) please note that laws governing data collection and use may differ from U.S. law and that we may transfer information, including Personal Information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction. Whenever we transfer Personal Information originating in the EU to an entity outside of the EU, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected (e.g., conclude the EU Standard Contractual Clauses with third parties).
Lawful Basis for Processing Personal Information
If you are an individual in the European Union (EU) or an EU citizen, we collect and process data about you only where we have legal bases for doing so under applicable EU laws. This means we collect and process your data only under one or more of the following circumstances:
- It is necessary for a legitimate interest (which is not overridden by your individual privacy interests). Examples include preventing fraud, improving the Website, and increasing the security of the Website and network infrastructure.
- You have consented to this collection and processing for a specific purpose.
- It is necessary to fulfill our contractual obligations.
- It is necessary to comply with a legal obligation.
Where we rely on your consent to process your Personal Information, you have the right to withdraw or decline consent at any time. If you wish to withdraw your consent, please contact us. You may use the information at the bottom of this page. Some examples of our legitimate interests and the information being processed include:
- network and information security (password, IP address, device ID).
- customer support and fraud prevention (name, email address).
- improving our products and services (hardware information, activity logs).
Where we rely on our legitimate interests to process your Personal Information, you have the right to object. More information on exercising this right can be found in the Individual Rights section below.
If you have any questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your Personal Information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wonder Workshop makes certain choices available to you when it comes to your Personal Information. Please review the below information outlining your choices and how to exercise them. We will respond to all requests within a reasonable time frame. If our full response will take more than a month due to complexity or scope, we will notify you of this. And we will keep you updated on our progress.
Review and update your information. You have the right to access and update any Personal Information that we have collected. Some Personal Information can be updated using the account management tools at portal.makewonder.com/account/edit. This includes the account holder’s name and email address. For any Personal Information beyond this, please submit a request using the contact information at the end of this section.
Delete your information. You also have the right to have your Personal Information deleted. This is sometimes known as the ‘right to be forgotten’. To request that we delete all Personal Information about you, please submit a request. You can use the contact information at the end of this section.
We may decline to honor this request in certain situations, such as if the data is necessary to comply with a legal obligation or to exercise/defend a legal claim.
Restrict Processing. You have the right to restrict how we process your Personal Information in certain circumstances. You may request that we limit our uses of your Personal Information to specific purposes.
Data Portability. You have the right to obtain copies of your information in a structured, commonly used format. The format should allow you to move your data between our service and the services of others.
Right to Object. You have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes or when our processing of your data is based on legitimate interests.
If any request made under this section is clearly unfounded or excessive, we may reject the request. Or we may require a reasonable fee to honor the request. If we decide to reject your request, we will inform you of the reasons for not taking action. And we will provide information on other possible remedies. If we decide that a reasonable fee is necessary, we will promptly inform you. Then we will comply with the request upon receipt of this fee.
Contact for individual rights requests
Please use the contact information at the bottom of this page when submitting a request to exercise any of the above rights. Please do not submit requests across multiple communications channels. We will make our best effort to respond to your request within a reasonable time frame.
If you are an EU citizen or reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local supervisory authority.
If we make a material change in the way we handle previously collected Personal Information of our users, we will notify you more prominently and obtain your prior consent or the prior consent of a parent or legal guardian, as applicable and legally required.
How to contact us
If you have any remaining questions about how we treat your privacy, let us know. You can contact us by email or physical mail.
Wonder Workshop, Inc.
Attn: Privacy Manager
PO Box 1520
Millbrae, CA 94030, USA